samedi, mai 22

pensive sundae

i was reading this and started to think about what certain songs remind me of... i just happened upon this post very shortly after someone told me that they would never be able to hear jane's addiction without thinking of me. it's super interesting to me how certain smells and sounds can tie you to a moment in time, or to a person, or to an emotion. for example, the gypsy kings will always make me a) hungry and b) think of a former boyfriend, who was the head chef in a tapas restaurant. when i hear them,i'm suddenly transported back to his restaurant, at the table in the back where i always sat, dipping crusty bread in roasted red pepper soup and drinking wine. loreena mckennitt and chet baker take me back to the bookstore i worked at; to summer saturday afternoons when the boss wasn't around and we were busy hanging with the customers planning our night out. there is a massive attack song that is forever owned by psychojeremy - but makes me think of him in a good way, believe it or not. the sound of rain on the roof of a car makes me think of camping: of lying in my sleeping bag listening to the drops of water hitting the thin ceiling above me, knowing that half of everything i own will be damp in the morning. woodsmoke is fall: warm sweaters and going back to school. roast beef and apple pie are sundays in my mom's kitchen.

are these normal things for most people? i guess the woodsmoke one for sure is... what else?