lundi, janvier 10

me & jeremy story

ok i talk lots of crap about my crazy exboyfriend (like just there - i call him my crazy exboyfriend for gosh sakes) but there was good stuff, too, and for some reason i feel like talking about it tonight. so i'm going to.

jer & i started hanging out in fall 1999. it was the end of the world as we knew it. no, seriously it was. all i wanted to do for new years was be outside surrounded by a huge swarm of people when the ball dropped, or the earth split open, or the computers crashed, or the cars crashed, or whatever. so i came to van to stay with my folks before christmas, and he came down after (it's all messed up 'cause he's just breaking up with someone and starting up with me and i've just ended something with someone and have almost killed myself teaching and marking and finishing three classes of my own and doing computer work so even then it was starting to suck even as it was just beginning i should have known from the start but anyway).

so new year's eve we drove my little fox machine downtown and met up with his brother and his buddy and went for dinner and drinks at cactus club so the boys (ok and me too a little) could look at the hot chix, then we headed downtown to robson to see what the heck was going on in the world. we had a backpack full of champagne and it was pouring rain and we stood up on top of the big planter things at the art gallery and all you could see all the way up and down robson street was people. the news vans were there, and the police were there, and you could tell they were primed for a riot, but everyone was polite and just there to celebrate and as soon as midnite burst over the crowd in a shower of raindrops and champagne and cheering and kisses, the crowd dispersed and went on their merry ways.

the shiny happy jeremy memory is that i was cold, so cold cause the rain was *pouring* down and i was so soaked and i had just lost tonnes of weight so my body temperature regulator was all fucked up, and he wrapped his arms around me and gave me sips of champagne out of the bottle and kissed the raindrops off my eyelashes and the end of my nose. then, when it was all over, he grabbed my hand and led me through the crowd and to the bus, and pushed his way to the front of the line cause i was cold dammit so everyone else could just fuck off! then we went back to where we were staying and took steaming hot showers and gotP changed and went dancing till 8am.

and the world didn't crash and the sky didn't fall and the heavens didn't collapse, but the world as i knew it still ended and nothing has ever been the same since. and some days i remember how i felt when he lifted me down off that planter thing at the art gallery and led me through the crowd and i miss him so much it hurts.