lundi, février 27

hung up in a warehouse town

i can't wait for my mouthguard. i'm tired of waking up with a headache (wine related or otherwise).
reading tony and mr wolf talk about their travels gives me total wanderlust. i come from a long line of sailors - on my dad's side, my family has always been sailors or shipbuilders - and that urge to travel has always been a part of me. it's been a really long time since i've gone anywhere. when i first started doing the job that i have now, they told me i'd get to travel a lot, but then someone higher up decided in their infinite wisdom that i was too valuable to have out of the office. which is good, i guess, but at the same time sucks rocks.

it's funny 'cause the people around me are settling into their careers, buying homes, getting married, and starting families, whereas i'm looking at another couple of years of my kid living at home, then he's going to take off to do his own thing and i'll pretty much be free and on my own. i think at that point is when i'm going to put some serious consideration into seeing a lot of the world. i have about nine years of debt left. i have no real desire to own my own home. my ten year plan involves paying everything off and then taking my salary and investing in the kinds of experiences that make life worth living.

this is not, of course, to say that i'm going to wait ten years to start living my life. i'm going to do great stuff in the meantime, as well. but in ten years i think i can start doing it in earnest and living debt free means that i won't have to worry about whether or not i'm making 70k a year (not like i particularly worry about it now, but you know what i mean).

i was in spain about six years ago. my auntie and uncle own a flat in torremolinos. i'd get up in the morning and go for a run along the beach at 7.30, then shower and have fruit for breakfast, go lie on the beach for a couple of hours, do some sightseeing, go back to the flat to have a bottle of wine on the patio and get ready for dinner, head out to a restaurant and sit outside along the water till 2 or three am, hit a club or just wander home, get up the next day and do it all again.

we had originally planned on going back over there at the end of june this year, but my dad hasn't really been doing too well. he's going through these tests to see if he qualifies to have this totally experimental procedure done to see if it can finally cure this depression that has plagued him for 15 years. i'm not sure what it's all about except that it involves implanting some kind of magnet in his brain and it gives me an anxiety attack to think about. so anyway, i don't think we will be going that soon, but may try for the end of september. even if i can't go i'm going to try and send the kiddo - he's never travelled at all and that's something i totally regret. oh speaking of the kiddo - i guess he was on his way back from the movies with some friends last night, and a thing about the sasquatch festival played over the radio. it listed off a bunch of the bands going to be there and he shouted out "omg! i'm going to that!" his friends responded doubtfully - like of course they'd all like to go, but the kiddo could actually say "nono! my mom has the tickets already! i'm really going!". that's pretty cool...

anyway, i'm going to shower and do some laundry and bake banana bread and otherwise lounge around for my day off.

xoxo