dimanche, janvier 25

like imelda, but better looking

i'm not so sure what i want to write about today. perhaps about the perils of crushing on 24yr old boys (cause that's what they really are. i didn't dub nate "the puppy" for no reason -- though he's not 24). but i think that i have dwelled upon that particular theme long enough.

went with mike b. to the birthday party of his exgirlfriend last nite. spent the evening talking to people i don't know. which was good for me, for sure. i'm not so good at that -- i tend to stay within my protective shell most of the time and only associate with people i know fairly well. i think i did well. i'm not about to go out all on my own, by any means. but maybe someday.

i still have my fascination with pulp novels centred around the single woman ala bridget jones. i'm really interested in the difference between the way the british represent her and the americans. along that vein, i just finished reading a 'gossip girl' novel. this is a series, apparently, which casts various girls from upscale new york private schools... (probably more intended for the late teen reader but twigged my fascination with both my theme, and my previous obsession with the dissemination of gossip as a modern version of the oral tradition). anyhooo.. it wasn't a well written piece of literature, by any means. but one particular line twigged my fancy: "you can't let assholes turn you into an asshole". well said.

back to my theme, though. i'm of the mind that this genre is just a dressed up version of the serial romance novel. the characters don't fall neatly into the 'girl meets man, hates man, realizes she loves man, marries man' trope, but they are not far off. they masquerade as 'feminist', but are still buying into the stereotypes that women are not necessarily complete without a man. mind you, i've been caught in that pattern myself of late. but i don't think it's a "man" that i'm looking for specifically -- it's more of a sense of belonging. which, of course, you get when you have a steady partner.

i'm also feeling quite nesty. really want to clean up my closet, purge myself of unneeded clothes and baggage. it's time for calvin and i to get our own place for sure. spring...

ooo speaking of books, i have several selections waiting for me at the library. the first batch of my 'best of 2003' books, and some other 'just for fun' ones. i really like the library. what a great invention. i wonder, though, if i should renew my copy of "non-technical guide to project management" or if i should just admit that i'm not going to get through it?